400-500 million speakers (pidgins and varieties):
2. The second language is a language that you study in the context where it’s spoken.
Mother tongue and another language: languages are considered equal, there is coexistence, it’s a kind of mix.
The rise of English in relation to:
1. Intrinsic and extrinsic factors
2. Politics – economics – the press – advertising – broadcasting – movies – pop music – airspeak – seaspeak – communication – education (1960)
3. Money. Money is the USA and they use English. It’s related to financial money, to capitalism. The products are addressed to a wider world.
4. English was the 1st language to be used in radio-programs. The birth of radio-programs was in English.
5. Movies: the production are in English, movie picture.
6. Related to money, feature of the English language. It’s a stress time language. It has the same rhythm in a spun, it’s not based on sillabes.
7. Language spoken in airplanes or ships. It was a decision, not only you get things in English, but also people who work there speak English.
8. Related to everything, for example language of politicians.
9. It’s a choice. English is taught as a foreign language (language choice as a foreign language 1° level). Some areas/domains require English competence to be accessed, for example IT, you have to know English.
Courses are run entirely in English in some areas (2° medium of instruction)
3° English publication are published in English, this is a kind of discriminating, it is giving the other languages less hour.
Continua a leggere:
Per approfondire questo argomento, consulta le Tesi:
- The Presence of Anglicisms in four italian Magazines: a Case Study
- Features of Indian English: characteristics from a corpus of indian speakers
- Analisi traduttologica della serie BBC ''Sherlock''
- Searching for a Global language: A Debate in the Global English Era
- Internet - The Flagship of Global English?
Puoi scaricare gratuitamente questo appunto in versione integrale.